Keep Your Bonita Springs Home Safe During the Holidays
There would be nothing worse than watching your Bonita Springs Home go up in smoke just before the holidays.
To keep your holiday safe the Bonita Springs Fire Rescue suggests following these safety tips to help protect your family:
Test all lights and cords for broken sockets or bare wires before decorating the tree or house. Place lights on a fireproof surface, leave them switched on for at least 15 minutes, and watch for any danger signs, such as smoke or melted wires. Use only lights that have an Underwriter’s Laboratories or similar approval tag.
- Place your Christmas tree close to an electrical outlet to reduce the need to use extension cords. If you do use extension cords, use only heavy-duty cords. Never overload electrical sockets.
- If you choose a fresh tree, check the water level daily.
- If you have an artificial tree, be sure it is labeled as fire resistant.
- Place trees away from any heat source. Use cool-burning lights on fresh trees.
- Make sure your tree doesn’t block any exit from your home. Always have two exits from each room in case of fire.
- Always unplug all lights before leaving the house or going to bed.
- Place small ornaments near the top of the tree. Children and pets may mistake ornaments for toys and can easily choke on small decorations.
- A large number of home fires begin in the kitchen. Never leave cooking unattended.
- If you host a party and have guests who smoke, use only heavy, deep ashtrays. Never empty ashtrays without letting them sit for several hours. Hot ashes emptied into a trashcan may ignite a fire.
- Poinsettia, holly and mistletoe can be poisonous if ingested. Keep these away from children and pets.
- Never discard wrapping paper or a live tree in a fireplace or wood stove. These materials burn very hot and may start a chimney fire.
- Always use a screen or some type of protective cover when using a fireplace. Don’t hang stockings or other decorations near a fireplace that will be used.
- Avoid operating space heaters for long periods of time. Electrical cords may overheat and start a fire.
- Never remove a battery from a smoke alarm to use for other purposes, such as for a toy or remote control.
Most importantly, keep a fire extinguisher on hand and/or check to make sure the extinguisher you have is current and operational.